I think there is not much debate as to the fact that Howard Stern is the most famous radio personality who is currently on the radio. His show has been on air for many years and following his movie Private Parts, there were many people exposed to him who may not have heard much about him in the past.
Howard Stern’s comedy is not suitable for everyone, but he does have an active and devoted following who are happy to tune into his regular and syndicated show. While he did have a movie made about himself and it does seem like he just throws it all out there, there is more to Howard Stern than meets the eye. Let’s look at a breakdown of facts about the well-known, outspoken, and pretty offensive famous radio personality.
- He has friends in high places: The first proposed cover for his second book Miss America featured him with OJ Simpson at Donald Trump’s wedding. Trump also attended Stern’s wedding. He has been photographed recently as well on vacation with other celebrities, including Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux, and even Emily Blunt. His wedding to his current wife, Beth Ostrosky, was officiated by Mark Consuelos as well.
- He suffers from OCD: Stern has long struggled with OCD, but has been practicing transcendental medication for more than 36 years as a way to keep his compulsions in check. He even made a film about it when he was a college student at Boston University.
- He ran for governor: In 1994, Howard Stern threw in his cap in the governor race in New York. He ultimately pulled out of the race because he did not want to disclose his net worth.
- He has three daughters with his first wife: He married Alison Berns in 1978 and went on to have three girls with her. His daughters are Emily Beth, Debra Jennifer, and Ashley Jade. Stern and Berns divorced in 2001 after having separated in 1999.
- He is both loved and hated: His 1997 autobiographical movie Private Parts received nominations for both Blockbuster Awards and Raspberry Awards, showing that some critics do like him while others can’t stand him. Of course this has more to do with his personality than anything else. He is very outspoken and some people tend to find him more offensive while others take his humor in stride.
- He personally has not been fine by the FCC: While he has had plenty of run-ins with the FCC, they have never successfully fined him, but instead they have fined several radio stations that he has worked for. The fines between all of the stations have surpassed $2.5 million collectively.
7. He was named as one of the most highly paid television personalities in 2013, getting paid a whopping $95 million between 2012 and 2013. This is partially hilarious because he would not disclose how much he earned when he attempted to run for New York governor, but is listed as one of the richest people in television by Forbes. There is just no hiding when you have a lot of money.
Bottom line: what you need to know about Howard Stern is that he seems like a generally nice person. Sure he talks about things that other people are not willing to talk about and does it in a very outspoken way that tends to offend people, but at the same time, he is not known for doing anything harmful to other people. In fact, he seems generally nice, even with a mouth that produces many explicatives.